How to Add Audio to a Video: 6 Easy Ways in 202110 min read
Looking to add audio to a video on your mobile phone or computer?
Whether you want to add audio in a video on iOS, Android, Mac, or Windows, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll show you how to add an audio file to a video on iPhone, Android, Mac, and Windows, step-by-step, with pictures.
Here’s everything we’ll cover, please feel free to jump around:
How to Add Audio to a Video on iPhone and Android using InShot
If you’re on Android or iOS, you can use InShot to add an audio file or music track to a video. The app is available on both iOS and Android. It’s ideal for adding music to a video and posting it on social media platforms such as YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok, or Twitter.
Here’s how to add audio or music to a video on iPhone or Android using InShot:
- Open InShot and tap Video to import the video.
- Once the video has been imported, head to the Music tab.
- You’ll now see that there are three buttons: Tracks, Effects, and Record. If you want to add a background music track to your video, tap Tracks.
Now under the Featured tab, you’ll see several groups of tracks. Tap one of the groups, then tap a track.
This will start playing the audio track and reveal a red Download button.
If you like the track and would want to use it in your video, tap the download button. Once the video is downloaded, you’ll see a Use button in its place. Tap the Use button to use it in your video.
- InShot allows you to extract and use the audio or music from a video that you have on your phone. To extract audio from a video, use the button that says Extract audio from video under the same Featured tab.
- If you have an audio track on your phone and would like to import and add it to your video, switch to the My Music tab beside the Featured tab.
- To add sound effects, switch to the Effects tab next to the My Music tab.
If you’d like to add the sound of applause to your video, tap the Applause category, tap an effect from the list, and tap Use to add that effect to your video.
- You can also record your voice using InShot. Tap the Record button to start recording the audio.
- Once you’re done adding the audio track(s) to your video, tap the tick icon.
- Finally, tap the Save button in the top right corner of the screen to save the video on your phone.
How to Add Audio to a Video in VLC on Windows and Mac
Once you’ve installed VLC on your computer, follow the steps below to add audio to a video file on Windows 10 or Mac using VLC media player:
- First, open VLC. Then go to Media > Open Multiple Files.
- In the Open Media window, click Add to import the video.
- Once you’ve imported the video, you can now go ahead and add the audio file to it. In the Open Media window, tick the Show more options checkbox.
- Now tick the Play another media synchronously checkbox.
- Then click on the Browse button.
- In the Open Media window that appears next, click on the Add button and then the Select button in the bottom right corner of the same window to add the audio file.
- Then click on the Convert/ Save dropdown button in the bottom right corner and select Convert from the dropdown menu.
- Now pick a location to save your video. In the Convert window, click on the Browse button under the Destination section.
- Finally, click Start to save the video.
How to Add Music to a Video in Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7/8/10
Windows Movie Maker comes with the Windows Essentials suite and Microsoft has ended the support for this suite. You can, however, download the official installer using this download link. We retrieved that link using a web archiving service.
Here are the steps to install and add audio to a video using Windows Movie Maker:
- First, install Windows Movie Maker on your Windows computer. Double-click the installer file and pick Choose the programs you want to install option from the window that appears next.
- You wouldn’t need most of the tools that come with this suite. If you don’t want to install a tool, untick the checkbox beside that tool. But make sure to leave the Photo Gallery and Movie Maker checkbox ticked. Click on the Install button to begin the installation process.
- Once Movie Maker is installed, open it and import the videos or photos to it.
Simply drag and drop the video or audio files onto the software window. Or you can import the videos (or photos) by heading to the Home tab and clicking on the Add Photos and Videos button.
- Now let’s add the music or audio to the video. Head to the Home tab and click on the Add music button to import and add the audio file(s) to your video clips. The add music button is right beside the Add Photos and Videos button in the Add section.
Windows Movie Maker supports WMA, MP3, WAV, M4A, AIFF, and AIF audio formats.
- Finally, save the video. To save the video, go to the File tab, select Save movie, and then select Recommended for this project.
How to Add Audio to a Video on iMovie
iMovie is a free tool that comes preinstalled on Mac OS. Here’s how to add an audio file to a video on Mac using the iMovie desktop software:
- Open iMovie and click on the Create New button.
- Select Movie from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Click on the Import Media button to import the video(s).
- Once you’ve imported the video, drag and drop it onto the timeline.
- Now let’s import the audio track that we want to add to the video. To import an audio file or a video, click on the File menu in the main menu bar and select Import media… from the dropdown menu.
- Once you’ve imported the audio file, drag and drop it onto the timeline panel. Make sure to not drop it over a video clip. Release the mouse button when you see the green plus button. This will add the audio to the video.
How to Add Audio or Music to a Video in Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is a paid, professional video editing software designed to be used by professionals. If you already have it installed on your computer, you can use it to add music or audio to a video.
Here are the steps to add an audio or music file to a video in Premiere Pro:
- Go to File > New to create a new video project.
- Go to File > Import to import the video(s).
- Now drag and drop the imported video from the Project panel onto the timeline.
- Now import the audio file that you want to add to the video. Go to File > Import to import the audio file.
- The imported audio file will now appear in the Project panel. Simply drag and drop it onto the timeline to add it to the video file. You can trim an audio track and adjust its volume just like you can with a video clip.
How to Add and Edit Audio in a Video Online using Animaker
If you’re looking for an online tool to add audio to video, you can use Animaker.
For those who are unaware of Animaker, it is an all-in-one DIY video-making app designed to help non-designers make professional-quality videos from the comfort of their browser.
It just takes 3 simple steps to add audio or music to a video and download it using our super-simple, free tool.
It works on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc., and if you use one of these browsers, you can easily add audio files to your videos on your Windows or Mac computer.
Moreover, you can upload and combine your audio files and videos in multiple formats such as MP4, MPG, WebM, MOV, and more formats.
Here’s how to add an audio file to a video using Animaker:
Add Audio (or Music) to Your Videos in 3 Simple Steps using Animaker
Step 1: Sign up / Sign in and Pick the Dimensions
First, sign in to your account or create a free account. Now pick the dimensions for your output video depending on the social media platform you’d be posting it on.
Want your video to be Horizontal, Square, or Vertical in size? Pick one of the premade dimensions from the Create a video section in your dashboard.
If you want to pick your own height and width for your video, simply click on the Custom Size Video button from the same section above. Then enter your desired width and height and hit Create Video.
Step 2: Upload the Video and Add Audio to It
Now upload the video and audio file(s). You can upload videos up to 20 GB in size. Head to the Upload tab in the main menu bar and click on the Upload button at the bottom of the tab window.
Once the video has been uploaded, click on the video to set it onto the canvas.
Now click on the music or audio file to add it to your video project. Once you add the audio file to your video, it will appear right underneath the video layer in the timeline.
To edit your audio file, simply click on the audio file from the timeline. This will reveal a tooltip with options to preview or play the audio track, adjust its volume, duplicate it, etc.
To adjust when the audio should start or stop playing, simply click and drag the audio file to the left or right and/or drag one of the handles (black in color) on either side.
You can also add an audio track from our library. Animaker’s music library features a wide variety of royalty-free background music tracks. Head to the Music tab to access our music library.
Moreover, Animaker also lets you add a voiceover to your video. You can record your voice or generate natural-sounding, crystal clear audio narrations simply using text.
Click on the microphone icon in the bottom left corner of the app window to record (or generate) voice for your video.
Step 3: Preview and Download the Video
You can preview the video by clicking on the play button beside the Publish button.
To download the video, click on the Publish button and select Download video from the dropdown menu.
You can also share the video directly to various social media platforms from right within the app.
Apart from letting you easily add music to your videos, Animaker offers all the video editing tools you’d need to edit and fine-tune your video footage.
You can use Animaker’s video editor to:
- Trim videos
- Rotate videos
- Crop or resize videos
- Flip videos
- Remove audio from videos
- Add filters to videos
- Merge or combine videos
- Loop videos
- Add voiceover to videos
- Add pictures to videos
- Add subtitles to videos
And the list goes on… feel free to check out all our video editing software tools and learn why they’re the go-to tools for marketers, content creators, and people with no video editing experience.
Got any questions about adding audio to a video on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS? Any interesting tips or tools to add background music to your videos on your phone or computer that we haven’t covered? Please let us know about them in the comment section below.