How to Combine Videos in iMovie (Step by Step)5 min read
Looking to merge or combine videos in iMovie on your iPhone or Mac computer?
In this article, we’ll show you how to merge or combine two or more videos into one video using iMovie on both iPhone and Mac.
Also, as a bonus, we’ll show you an easier way to merge/combine video clips on your Mac computer.
Here’s everything we’ll cover, feel free to jump around:
How to Combine Videos on iPhone using the iMovie App
You can use the iMovie app on your iPhone or iPad to merge videos together. If you don’t have the iMovie app installed on your iPhone or iPad, you can download and install iMovie for iOS.
Once you’ve installed the iMovie app, follow the steps below to combine 2 or 3 videos into one using it:
- Open iMovie and tap the Create Project button.
- Now select Movie from the New Project popup window.
- Then tap Create Movie at the bottom of the app screen.
- Now tap on the area that says Tap + to add videos, photos, or audio to import your videos.
- Now tap Video under the VIDEOS & PHOTOS category.
- Then tap All, tap on the video you’d like to import, and tap the blue round button with the tick mark on it.
- Now tap any other video you want to merge or combine and tap the blue round button with the tick mark on it.
- Once you’re done adding the video clips, tap Create Movie at the bottom of the app screen.
- Optionally, you can also add transitions between your video clips. You can pick a transition style of your choice—plenty of beautiful transitions such as Dissolve, Slide, Wipe, Fade, etc.
- Once you’re done, tap Done in the top left corner of the app screen.
How to Combine Videos in iMovie on Mac
If you’re on Mac, you can use the iMovie software to merge your videos. Here are the steps to merge videos using the iMovie desktop software on Mac:
- Open iMovie and click on the Create New button.
- Now select Movie from the dropdown menu.
- Then click on the Import media button to import a video.
- To import more videos, click on the File menu in the menu bar and select Import media… from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Once you’ve imported all your videos that you’d like to merge into one video file, drag and drop them onto the timeline. Doing so would merge all your video clips into one single video. You can click and drag the videos to rearrange them so they appear in your desired order.
An Easy Way to Combine or Merge Videos on Mac
If you’re on Mac, you can use Animaker’s video merger to easily merge several videos together for free! All it takes is 3 simple steps to merge all your videos using our super-simple video merging tool.
For those who are unaware of Animaker, it is an all-in-one DIY video-making app designed to help non-designers make professional-quality videos from the comfort of their browser.
Our video merging software works on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc., and if you use one of these browsers, you can easily merge or combine your videos on your Mac computer.
If you’re looking to easily merge your videos for Instagram, YouTube, or Facebook, then Animaker’s video merger is the best tool for the job. Also, you can merge videos in MP4, MPG, WebM, MOV, and more formats.
Merge Your Videos in 3 Simple Steps using Animaker
Sign up/Log in and Pick the Dimensions
Log into your account or create a free one. Now pick the dimensions for your video. Do you want it to be horizontal or vertical or square? You can pick one of the premade dimensions from the Create a video section in your dashboard.
Or you can enter custom dimensions for your video by picking the Custom Size Video option from the same section above. Enter the width and height in pixels and hit Create Video.
Upload Your Videos and Merge Them Together
Animaker lets you upload videos up to 20 GB in size. To upload videos, go to the Upload tab in the main menu bar and click on the Upload button at the bottom of the tab window.
Alternatively, you can simply drag and drop your videos onto the area shown below.
In the Scenes section, you can see that a scene has already been added to the project.
You can now set your first video onto that existing scene. Simply click on a video in the Uploads section to set it onto a scene.
Now add a new scene for each video. To add a new scene, click on the plus button at the bottom of the scene.
Now click another uploaded video you’d like to add to this new scene. Repeat the same process for other videos you’d like to add and merge together.
Optionally, you can fine-tune the video footage you just added. You can trim, resize, crop, rotate, flip, mute, and adjust the brightness and contrast of your video files.
You can also add music, transitions, images, emojis, shapes, stickers, GIFs, etc.
Preview and Download the Video
Once you’re done adding all your video files and fine-tuning them, you can preview the video by clicking on the play icon beside the Publish button. You can download the video to your local computer by clicking on the Publish button and then selecting Download Video from the resulting dropdown menu. Or you can share it directly to a social media platform from within the app.
Using Animaker’s online video editor, you can:
- Trim videos
- Rotate videos
- Flip videos
- Remove audio from videos
- Adjust video brightness, contrast, etc.
- Add filters to videos
And the list goes on… feel free to check out these video editing tools and learn why it’s a widely preferred tool for video editing.
Got any questions about merging or combining your videos in iMovie or on your Mac computer? Any interesting tips or tools to merge videos on Mac that we seem to have left out? Please let us know about them in the comment section below.