How to Make a Video? [Five Simple Steps to Awesome Videos]24 min read
Let us consider two different situations. Personal and Professional.
Personal: Your anniversary is soon approaching. You have booked a table at your favorite restaurant, have chosen the perfect gift, and have even transformed yourself from your usual sleep-deprived, lazy self to a presentable person. But you feel that something is missing and that a personal touch is required to woo your partner…
Professional: A critical client meeting is around the corner. It is a huge client. You want to floor them with your pitch and close the deal. You have a great idea in hand, but you do not want to bore them with the same old, lifeless PPT or Doc. You are in dire need of an attractive, engaging method to impress the clients and your team. You want your pitch to be etched on people’s minds, convincing them to buy it. You want to impress them with your A-game…
As much as these scenarios have nothing in common, there is one solution that would deem fit. Good for you, cuz you have correctly sought the right and easiest way out.
Yes, Videos! Whatever be the situation, if you want to convey something in an appealing, likable manner, videos are the way to go! Also, if you feel that visuals and sound can improve the overall experience… videos, it is!
So, to answer your question, “How to make a video”, here is a step-by-step guide. And you can refer to points based on the scenario you are looking for.
Let’s see the steps one by one.
Step 1: Understand the Goal
A good start equals 50% of the job completed. And the first step in making a video is to understand the goal. Only if you know what you need to achieve you will work towards it clinically. Imagine working towards the wrong goal from the very first place? It would end up being a waste of time, waste of effort, and so on. You have to consider your audience’s minds. Certain things are a MUST, while others are a BIG NO-NO! Figure out these two and differentiate them.
The goals for the scenarios can be different. For Personal, you might want to make your wife’s birthday special or give her a creative gift or it might just be a cute gesture from you. For Professional, the goals may be to get your startup idea funded, getting your team motivated, etc.
So, let us see how we understand the goal for the scenarios.
Personal: It is your anniversary. The ultimate goal will be to impress the hell out of your partner. Even though you have made all the special things to brighten the special day, you felt that it is not enough. You needed a unique element above all those things. You might have felt that to kindle the slowly-fading spark with your partner. Find out that purpose and give in your all to woo your partner. You have no other go but to impress them.
Professional: As I had mentioned before, the client you are going to deal with is significant. You have been building your relationship with them for quite some time, and this is your final chance to pitch your product and finalize the deal. Acquiring this deal would be a pivotal point for your team and you. THIS is what you need. The fact that you must close this deal is your ultimate goal. THIS is why you should get to know them thoroughly and build a steady relationship with them. It will help you understand why they might need this product and help you know how to impress them and eventually reach your goal. Come up with the right pitch that would suit their needs.
Step 2: Write the Script
You are going to make a video. And you SHOULD be writing a script. As much as the blueprint is essential for construction, a script is vital for a video. And for the script, order and flow are quite important. Your video would make sense only if it has a proper flow. It is 1 2 3 4 and not 3 2 1 4. With the proper flow, load your video with wow factors and carve that fantastic script! Carve it in a way where the audience asks for more instead of awaiting the end!
Personal: It is your partner. You sure as hell should have understood them after spending so much time with them. If you still have not, you can very well take the help of friends, family, and loved ones and find what they would love the most. As luck would have it, your partner fell for you before and had accepted you in the past :P. Some quality of yours would have impressed them, and that is the reason behind you celebrating your anniversary with them. So your task here is to repeat history. Be yourself and just do your thing. Show off, if necessary. Do all your quirky tricks and make it a fun video.
Think about what they might have expected from you this anniversary or just what they would want to see from you, in general. Set out all such factors, recollect all memories, gather all photographs and videos, and anything else that comes to your mind, and write the script accordingly. Here are some examples of things that should and should not be considered for the script:
- Love – Yes.
- Happy pictures – Yes
- Beautiful pictures of your partner – Hell Yes!
- Sleepy or sloppy pictures – Noooo!
- References to fights – Nuh-uh!
- Bad but funny pictures – Maybe. But do not fight with us if you get a cold stare for including these!
It is a gift. It should not turn out to be a boring, pathetic one. Your partner should blush and leap with joy, looking at that video. They should be left emotional and teary-eyed like this…
And for that, simply saying “Happy Anniversary” with a heart emoji will not work. Wrack your brains, come up with a beautiful idea, be playful, and make it enjoyable!
You can start by saying how you two met, reminisce the path through which you two traveled, point out essential milestones like previous anniversaries, new car, new job, the birth of a child, and so on. And if you put them all in the right order, your video would turn out to be a touchy masterpiece like *Forrest Gump*!
Professional: Your client agreed to schedule a meeting with you cuz they felt that they might reap something of you. They saw something in your product and was looking for more from your end. From the way you have spoken with the client, you should find how your product will be useful for them. Because it is a big client, you cannot and should not take this opportunity for granted.
This is your final chance to bag the deal. Showing the same points and bullets as in a Powerpoint presentation is not going to take you anywhere. You need to infuse elements that your client will not see in their regular meeting. It should be a video that is etched on their minds for a long time. Your video script should be intriguing and leave the client feeling happy and optimistic about the product and how it was presented.
You should keep that in mind and project the highlights that make your product different from others. Projecting a feature of your product that can be correlated with their niche will be a Cherry on the top. If certain features can be of more use to them, it is a no-brainer that your video must include those features. If there are “not-so-interesting” features or bugs, or if you are not sure about a particular feature, do not get yourself caught trying to explain them! Having a huddle call before designing the video can be of great help.
You can choose a scenario that the client would often face. Introduce your product and give a step-by-step explanation of how your product comes to the rescue for this particular scenario. If possible, show different solutions for the same scenario. Or even better, deliver new problematic scenarios and their corresponding solutions. Your client will get more confident, looking at the number of scenarios that can be handled by a single product.
And at the end of the day, the video must be convincing enough to make the client think that your product is the best buy and refer it to their peers and subsidiaries. The purpose of this video is to convert the client into a customer.
Keep in mind that nothing should go wrong. So while writing your script, it is safe and witty to avoid the usage of religious, political, and offensive references. Jargons are also not advisable. The client should not be checking the thesaurus to know the meaning of a particular word. Again, try to keep the video concise. “Keep it simple, short, and straightforward; Silly!” should be your motto.
In short, become the audience and think like them. Make a proper plan and carve the script accordingly. Only then can you come up with an excellent video confidently like this…
Step 3: Choose your Video-making Path
Your script is ready. The next obvious step is to look for ways to create that awesome video of yours. You can use one of the following methods to make your video:
1. Appoint a new team
Appointing a new team would involve a huge budget. It would require scriptwriters, video makers, editors, and other technicians. So, if you are ready to shell in those bucks, you can very well appoint a new team to create your video!
Personal: For personal purposes, I would not suggest you hire a new team. If you do not have the time to create a video and need the help of a team, you can very well seek your loved ones, especially those that are profound in the art of video-making.
Professional: For professional purposes, hiring a new team with video-making skills can be extremely helpful. Though hiring them and buying the necessary equipment and software would be a huge investment, it would be a one-time deed that would go on to help for years together.
2. Choose Video-making agencies
If hiring a team did not pan out well, you can seek the help of video-making agencies. Such agencies would house professionals who have been creating such videos for years. So, it would go without saying that you can give them the job and expect a top-notch outcome. But quality comes with a price. So for this, you would have to make a huge investment.
Personal: Choosing agencies for personal purposes can end up being too expensive, expensive than hiring a team.
Professional: Choosing agencies to do your job can be extremely helpful. The professionals would know how to get the job done the way you want it since they have been in the field for a long time. All you need to do is, convey the requirement correctly, and stay calm. Having a contract with such agencies for a particular period can help you create numerous videos for different purposes. Though you will have to spend a lil’ extra, it would be worth it!
3. DIY (Do-it-yourself) Tools
The easiest way to get your job done, under the supervision of the most trustworthy person (You, of course!), is to make use of DIY tools! DIY video-making tools like Animaker are a boon for both simpletons and the sophisticated. Since these tools are filled with everything you need to make a video, right from properties to background music, all you need to do is drag and drop the elements and compile them into a beautiful video. Even if you know nothing about video-making, these easy-to-use tools will help you on the go!
The best part is, it is suitable for both personal and professional videos. The first two methods would involve the investment of money. This method, however, would involve only the investment of your effort.
Personal: On Animaker, you can do anything and everything when it comes to video-making. So, all you need to do is, have your photos and videos ready for upload. If you want to use a particular song as the background music, have that ready too. As simple as that!
Professional: Since you will do this by yourself, you will not have to worry about the outcome. You would be more than aware of the fact that you cannot afford to lose this deal. So, have the pointers and props ready for upload on the tool. You can even build your Brand-kit with Animaker, so it would be easier to use your brand colors, logo, and other vital icons in your video!
Chop chop! It is time to make the video.
Step 4: Make the Video
Now that your script is ready, it is time to buckle down and set the stage for the actual process: MAKING THE VIDEO!
If you are wondering how to make that video of yours, there are two different ways.
1. How to make a video with an in-house team/Video-making Agency
When you are making the video with the help of an in-house team or an external agency, you should ensure that the team and you are on the same page. Only if you convey the idea and the requirements entirely will they create a video of good quality. So, here are some pointers for hiring a team/agency:
- Do a background check on the individuals/team. You do not want to be hung up with a bunch of make-believe video makers, do you?
- Make comparison before zeroing in on an individual/team. You need the best at the end of the day.
- Once you are done selecting the team/agency, allow them to understand your company and its brand appeal to consider these factors while creating the video.
- Always convey the idea in an understandable, workable manner. If the creators do not understand what you are saying, poof! It is a waste of time for both ends.
- Do not wait for the final draft to land on your table. Ask the creators to provide WIP (Work in progress) so that you can point out changes then and there.
- Follow up. Be involved always. Sometimes, people can get a little lazy. That should not affect your work. So, keep an eye out for progress and check up on the creators so that they do not end getting irritated!
- Be consistent throughout. Your idea/vision should be the same on the first and last day. Only then will the creator be able to meet your needs.
- Do not compromise on quality, trying to save money. Throwing in extra bucks for a top-grade video can be helpful in the long run.
- If you are thinking about saving some bucks, you can choose a team/agency associated with you for a long time. Choosing them for a one-time task can cost you more.
2. How to make a video using a DIY tool
Be it for personal or professional videos, the steps involved in creating a video is the same. But you can choose between two options as shown below:
Edit a photo video template:
This is the easiest and quickest way to create your video. You will simply have to replace the text and images (if necessary) in the template, replace the background music, and download the video. Voila! You are done!
If you are not convinced yet, here are some videos from our Moments section that will help you.
You can select any video from above and start working on it. Or, you can very well visit our Moments page to check out the other templates too. Now that we have selected our Moment, the next step is to customize it according to our needs. Here are the steps:
1. If you are going to choose a video from above, all you need to do is select the “Use” button. This will open a new project.
But this will happen only if you are registered with Animaker already and are logged in. If not, click here to sign up. Once you are done signing up, click on the “Use” button above to open a new project.
If you are already a user of Animaker, click here to log in.
2. After you sign in, a new project will get opened. You will see that the template has everything needed for a video. All you need to do is, swapping the pictures in it with yours. Let us start by uploading your images one by one to switch the existing photos. Choose the file that you want to upload from your local storage. Click the Upload button, navigate to the file, select it, and click on Open. You can also drag and drop the file from your local storage.
3. Likewise, upload all the pictures. After uploading, select the photo in the template. This will open the Item Menu. Select the Swap option from the Item Menu.
4. This will open the Images section from the library. Using the Swap option allows you to swap the existing image with an image or video, either from the Library or from the My Uploads section. Since we will use the uploaded photo, choose the My Uploads icon in the images section.
5. Select the image you want to swap the existing image with, and click on Apply.
After swapping, you can resize the image by selecting it and then dragging its corners.
6. If you feel that the text in the template does not go with your image, you can change it by clicking on it. Clicking on it would open the Text Settings window, from which you can modify your text’s font style, size, alignment, letter spacing, transparency, entry/exit effect, and arrangement. Also, you can use Smart Move on your text to give it complex animations. Check out this video to know how to use Smart Move.
7. Alternatively, you can also delete the existing text box and replace it with one from the Text Pre-builts section. The Library also has a massive list of Text Pre-builts, which are formatted with unique entry and exit effects. Apart from these pre-builts, you can also select a heading, subheading, or body text, format it, and provide it with your own entry/exit effects.
8. If you are confident enough, you can very well go ahead and create a scene from scratch. To do this, select the scene after which you want the new scene, and select the Add Scene option. If you want to add a new scene that does not have many changes from a particular scene, the easiest and smartest thing to do is duplicate a scene. Select the Duplicate Scene option and make your changes in the newly added scene right away. To delete a particular scene, select it from the Scenes section and select the Delete Scene option.
You can also add any asset from the Library to any scene and enhance your video. Refer to the screenshot below to know where each asset type can be found.
As and when you add an element to the scene, you will notice it getting added to the timeline below. For instance, when you add a photo that you had uploaded, this is how it gets added to the Workspace and the timeline.
To adjust the duration of the asset’s visibility on a particular scene, drag the black bars at the ends of the scene in the timeline or by clicking the + and – options at the bottom right.
Once you are done editing the text and replacing the assets the way you want, we will move on to the next step; one of the most critical steps for creating a cool video…
9. The final step is to add music to your video. For this, select the video timeline.
To change the existing BGM in this template, click on the music track in the timeline. You will notice a pop-up with some options appear. Remove the track by selecting the Delete option.
To choose a new music track/sound effect, select the Music option in the library. This will list several royalty-free music tracks. Similarly, to add sound effects, select the option next to Music.
Hover over any track to preview it. Add a track to the video by simply clicking on it. From the timeline, you can preview the track, adjust its volume, duplicate it, and delete it. You can also move the black edges of the track to extend or contract it and match the track length with your video’s duration.
And if that is still not enough, you can upload your own music the same way you uploaded your pictures and add it to the video.
We will see how to preview and publish/download the video in the fifth step.
Create a Video from scratch:
If you do not want to make use of a template and start from scratch, well, we have options for that too! Here are the steps:
1. After logging into your account, Click on Create -> Create a video on the dashboard.
2. This will take you to the Moments page. This page lists three blank options at the top, along with the other predefined templates. Select one among the three blank templates (vertical, square, and horizontal), depending on the dimension you want.
3. Selecting a blank template will start a new project as shown below.
4. After the project is launched, start by uploading the pictures following the steps mentioned earlier.
5. Once the pictures are uploaded, our next step will be to add a good background to the video. Using Animaker, you can add four different types of backgrounds to your video. Check out this video to know more.
6. For this video, I would prefer to go with an image background. As it is an anniversary video, I will search for the keyword “love” in the search bar and choose one from the filtered list. To add a background you like to the workspace, simply click on it.
7. Now that our background is selected, the next step will be to add the uploaded photos to the workspace. Go to the Uploads section in the library and select the photo that you want to add to the workspace.
Resize the image by dragging its corners and place it properly.
8. Here’s a subtle trick for you. Though adding the image would do, adding a frame to the picture can emphasize it. Wondering how? Look down.
a. Click on Properties in the Library.
b. Since the image is in landscape format, we can choose the rectangle shape. To choose the rectangle shape, click on the plus symbol next to Shapes (With Text) under Properties.
c. This will expand the Shapes section. Select the rectangle to add it to the workspace.
d. Besides using the corners of the shape to resize it, you can also change its width by using the rhombus icon in the shape. This will help you to scale the frame like this…
e. Once you have made the frame fit the picture perfectly, you can change the color of the shape and give it entry/exit effects from the settings.
f. Now that your frame is set, right-click on it and select Move to Back. This will help you in performing the next step without any hassles.
9. You can add text to a video by selecting the Text option from the library. Select a heading/subheading/body text or choose a style from the vast list of Text-Prebuilts.
For this video, I select the body text and enter the text to add to the video.
Similar to the other assets, you can format the text the way you want it to be and also give it entry/exit effects from the Text Settings window.
10. Let us move on to the next scene. Now that our first scene is perfectly set, the easiest and smartest thing to do would be duplicating it and simply changing the picture and text for the other scenes. This would help you complete your video faster. To duplicate the scene, click on the Duplicate Scene option on the first scene under the Scenes tab.
11. Now, our task is to replace the image and the text, and we are done with the second scene. To replace the image, select it, and choose the Swap option from the Item Menu.
This will open the Images section from the library. Using the Swap option allows you to swap the existing image with an image or video, either from the Library or from the My Uploads section. Since will use the photo that was uploaded, choose the My Uploads icon in the images section.
Select the image you want to replace the current image with and click on Apply.
You can resize the image by dragging its corners and fitting it into the frame.
12. Next, change the text accordingly.
Similarly, you can duplicate the first scene and change the picture and text in forthcoming scenes.
13. The final step is to add music to your video. To choose a new music track/sound effect, select the Music option in the library. This will list several royalty-free music tracks. Similarly, to add sound effects, select the option next to Music.
14. Hover over any track/effect to preview it. Add a track to the video by simply clicking on it. From the timeline, you can preview the track, adjust its volume, duplicate it, and delete it. You can also extend the black marks at the ends of the track to extend or contract it.
And if that’s still not enough, you can upload your music the same way you uploaded your pictures and add it to the video.
Check out the next step to know how to preview and publish/download the video.
Step 5: Edit, Publish, and Promote
To err is human. So, we are bound to make mistakes. But, a silly mistake should not end up ruining the time and effort involved. So, always edit, proofread, and present the best!
Personal: Want to disappoint your partner for a stupid mistake in your video? Imagine getting whacked for misspelling “How”, where you put ‘e’ instead of ‘w’. Scary, right? To avoid such mistakes, always edit and proofread your video. The rough draft that was made many moons before can contain all kinds of errors. Be careful, my friend!
Once you are done editing, make the final step! Swoop your partner off their feet with that awesome video of yours!
Professional: You do not want to come across as a careless, unprofessional person. A small mistake made by you can affect your company’s reputation on a high level. So, always have your work cross-checked. New pairs of eyes can help in identifying those mistakes, so seek your team’s help! Presenting a flawed video can make you a laughable stock. You will be facing brutal, ruthless comments for your mistakes. And your company? Well… let’s say that you may not be in a position to call it “your” company because of this mistake. So, refrain from making silly mistakes at the stake of your company.
And before presenting, practice. It is okay even if you follow a script. As long as you present it in an unapologetically cool way, nobody is going to question you. And you will end up bagging the deal too!
All the best for your presentation! Once you are done with the presentation, you can even use parts of the videos for promotion on social media platforms. Nice idea, right?
Let’s go ahead and carry out the final step to obtain the video!
The steps involved in previewing and downloading/publishing the created video is the same for both options (Creating from a template and creating from scratch). Let us see the steps with the second option as an example.
1. After adding all the elements, preview the video to ensure that they have been added correctly. Select the Scene Preview option to preview a particular scene and use the Video Preview option to preview the entire video.
2. Once you are done, click on Publish -> Download video. You can rename it, select the preferred video quality, and then click on Download.
Your video is ready! Once the rendering is done, you can download it. Additionally, you will also receive the video link via mail.
Wasn’t that very easy? You will be able to create and download a completed, awesome video in a matter of minutes! All the best!
Hope this article was helpful! Should you have any questions/doubts, shoot ‘em in the comments section. We will be happy to help you out!